Scott A. Weiss
- Employment Law
Mr. Weiss, a member of Weiss & Weiss LLC, is experienced in representing unions, employees, and employers in labor and employment law.
Mr. Weiss has extensive experience in both the public and private sectors. He has handled a wide variety of cases, in both federal and state courts and agencies, since his bar admission in 1986.
He has practiced law in the following areas:
- Labor relations
- Employment discrimination
- Employment Disputes
- Personnel Policies
- Collective-bargaining negotiations
- Labor and Employment contract arbitration
- Multi-employer benefit-funds disputes
- Employment and separation agreements
- Restrictive and non-competition agreements
He also consults employers preparing and implementing personnel policies and managing personnel. He also is a panel speaker on best practices in personnel management and workplace policies.
Mr. Weiss has extensive courtroom experience. He also has considerable experience appearing before the National Labor Relations Board handling unfair labor charges and hearings, representation petitions as well as litigation against the N.L.R.B, against whom he successfully obtained an attorneys' fee award.
Mr. Weiss serves as a Labor/Employment Arbitrator for the American Dispute Resolution Center, Inc., New Britain, CT. He was appointed Arbitrator for the U.S.P.S.-Northeast Area Expedited Panel for NALC Region 15 (Connecticut)(now disbanded) and is a Labor Arbitrator of the Arbitration Panel of the New Jersey State Board of Mediation.
He also has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation and transactions representing lenders and investors in the banking industry and real estate leasing transactions for landlords.
Mr. Weiss handles and has handled matters through private arbitration and litigation in various federal, and state courts in California, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, and Texas.
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate - 1986
- State University of New York, Albany
- Bachelor of Arts - 1982
- New York, 1993
- Connecticut, 1997
- Illinois, 1986
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1986
- Panel Speaker. “The New Age in Medicine: Cognitive Testing of Doctors Age 65 and Older Necessary or Discriminatory? (The Quinnipiac Health Law Journal, Symposium, February 15, 2023)”
- Panel Speaker. “Who is an Independent Contractor? Pitfalls of Misclassification and U.S. Department of Labor’s Newly Proposed Rule (Fairfield County Bar Association, November 29, 2022).”
- “Fair Labor Standards Act in New York.” (Lorman Educational Service, White Plains, NY, 9/13/2011)
- “Best Practices in Onboarding Employees. (Fairfield County Bar Association, Stamford, CT, 1/20/2022.”
- “ADR Agreements not always Enforceable” (Connecticut Business and Industry Association News, Dec. 2000)
- “Recent Cases Test Validity of ADR in Employment” (Hartford, Ct: American Lawyer Media: CT Law Tribune, Labor and Employment Magazine, February 2001)
- “Defining Disability Under ADA” (Hartford, Ct: American Lawyer Media: CT Law Tribune, June 4, 2001), p. 2
- “Punitives Under 1991 Civil Rights Act” (Hartford, Ct: American Lawyer Media: CT Law Tribune, September 24, 2001), p. 2
- “Fair Balance Needed For Non-Compete Enforceability” (Hartford, CT: American Lawyer Media: CT Law Tribune, February 17, 2002), pp. 11
- "Getting the Most out of Arbitrating Employment Disputes: A Practical Blueprint to Guide Practitioners Through a 'Trial by Ambush.'” (New York, NY: American Lawyer Media: N.Y.L.J. Aug. 11, 2003, p. S7)
- "Subprime Market Crises Challenges Fiduciaries to Account to Investors.” 192 N.J.L.J. 970 (Am. Lawyer Media: June 23, 2008) (with John A. Stone, Esq.), S-6
- Labor/Employment Arbitrator for the American Dispute Resolution Center, Inc., Danbury, CT
- Appointed Arbitrator for the U.S.P.S.-Northeast Area Expedited Panel for NALC Region 15 - Now Disbanded
- Labor Arbitrator on the Arbitration Panel of the New Jersey State Board of Mediation
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Illinois State Bar Association - Senior Lawyers
- Fairfield County Bar Association - Co-Chair Employment Committee